Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

To Jan. A Birthday Tribute

It's been a long time since Janis and I saw each other, in fact if I am correct the last time we hung out was in 2002 when I was in Australia. But I have little doubt that if we were to bump into each other today, it would not make a difference. I believe the same to be true of anyone who is a friend of mine. 

I don't actually remember when we met. I think it was at a Chinese restaurant in downtown Johannesburg for my ex-Laurence's birthday. It was safer to go downtown then, and Chinese restaurants were underground, the tables had plastic clothes, the servers were the grand kids of the cooks and the food was delicious. Jan and Carla worked at an Italian/Pizza restaurant in Rosebank, I can't remember the name but I do remember meeting them after their shifts, or even going there during their shifts to hang out. We spent a lot of time together. 

Jan came up with the idea to write a book and call it "Other People's Lives". I wrote about that in one of my earliest blog posts. I loved Jan's perspective on life. She once told me she lived in a Christian neighborhood because she was less likely to be murdered among god-fearing beings. 

I miss you Jan. I miss our long chats. But I love keeping up with your life in Australia via Facebook and seeing how amazing the boys are. They are lucky to have you. Don't think I don't notice. I always do. 

Happy Birthday my friend. 

42.24

No comments: