Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Copy and paste

I find that I am often multi-tasking. I sit at my desk with my computer in front of me, email open, spreadsheets open, online document management software open. I have my personal email and my work email. Facebook is open. My phone is on my desk beeping. There are two desktops, one laptop, two iPads and many phones in this house. There are TVs and USB sticks and external hard drives. The stove says "Hello chef" when I walk past. My car can parallel park itself. 

I respond to emails, and texts and switch between screens. I edit a document and then hear the beep of an email coming in and check it quickly. I respond. My phone beeps. I check. I think to myself I'll respond later. I go back to my email. I've forgotten the document I was working on.  

I cut and paste. I forward. 

I do my best to make sure that when I respond to an email I check the name of the person in the "To" field. I do my best to check that I don't reply all when I have something private to say. I don't always succeed. 

My nephew and I send each other messages. Bad ones. Naughty ones. Sometimes we use email, sometimes we text, sometimes we WhatsApp.

I had a naughty message today. It was sent via WhatsApp. I copied it and forwarded it to Louis via iMessage.

Later on I was texting a friend and colleague. A woman. Whom I respect. I was asking work-related advise. She is the person that makes sure things are done the right way. I copied a link from my phones browser where I had looked up something on the FDA website, and texted it to her. But my phone pasted the last thing I had sent. It was the bad, naughty video I had sent Louis earlier. I hit send and then looked. I didn't check like I normally do when I send an email because I've mistakenly sent messages by email before so I have learned that lesson. Clearly I haven't learned this one. I wish I could blame the phone. 

The colour drained from my face as I read the response:
"My eyes!!!!!!!!"

My sincere and public apologies to KM. I promise always to check before I send bad, naughty messages. 

42.10

No comments: