Pages

Friday, December 25, 2015

Annually yours

The year that we arrived in Toronto saw us moving to Cabbagetown. We were invited to a dinner across the street but we had other plans and declined. What we didn't know was that this was their annual Christmas party for the street; we thought it was a sit down. We could have probably attended. 

The next year we went. And the next. And from that year on we spent every Christmas in Toronto with Petra and family (incl. brother and mother). This year we weren't sure if we would be together but tradition was on our side and they all drove out to the County today (incl. 3 dogs). 

The house was filled with voices, laughter and the noises of dog feet, barking and toy-tugging. We drank champagne, ate delicious food, had wine and lay around telling stories and laughing. We moved to the kitchen and snacked and watched the original Annie. The movie reminded me so much of my sister and I remembered every song and scene. We are still standing around the kitchen, hanging out. Enjoying each others company. It could be the scene of a movie.

I grew up Jewish and didn't celebrate Christmas. But we celebrated other holidays that meant tradition to me, where family was together. Christmas or Hannukah, today was about being together, forgetting about work and upholding an annual tradition. 

I am blessed to always be surrounded by people I love, whose company I enjoy. I love knowing that I am never alone. 

42.26

No comments: