Pages

Monday, December 14, 2015

An ordentlike affair

It's past midnight and I almost forgot to blog! It won't be a long one tonight, or one that is very deep. Sometimes it's just gonna be a diary entry. I went to the Gentleman's Christmas tonight. This is an annual event in Toronto for charity, mostly to collect toys for kids. If you want to be invited you need to get on the list (Step 1). This is not an easy thing to do. I first got on the list three years ago. Tonight was the first time I attended. 

Step 2 is to wait for the RSVP email that is sent out sometime at the end of November each year. And then Ar Es Vee Pee as soon as you can. Last year I responded immediately and within minutes got an email back letting me know that I was on the waiting list. I happened to see my friend Stuart later that day and mentioned to him that I was disappointed to be waitlisted and he casually let me know that he had replied AFTER me and got in. I was devastated at the blatant favouritism. 

I happened to be checking email when the invite came in this year and I responded without hesitation. You're in, she replied. And life was good. 

Everyone dresses up for this shindig and so I got myself a three-piece suit together with pocket square and bow tie that everyone was impressed with as it was freshly tied and not clipped on. We placed gifts under the tree and hobnobbed with vodka sodas in our hands. I remember a few years ago going out and feeling sad that I didn't know people. In South Africa I would go to a bar or club and know everyone. Tonight was like old SA. I bumped into familiar faces, I chatted to friends and even got introduced to people that I had seen around but never formally met. I smiled at the new faces and many smiled back. 

It was a civilized night of giving. The air outside was chilled but felt more like a fall evening than winter. The buildings are lit up. The city is alive. 

And so am I. 

42.14

No comments: