Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

I licked it, so it's mine

I am a member of a group called "We Lick Anything". This is a real group, and the requirements for membership are serious. It started a long time ago, way before social media existed. A group of friends travelled around on a mission to lick things, and provide photographic proof. This extended into the family and then later to friends. Soon a Facebook group was started. The rules are simple, lick something with imagination. Take a pic and don't get caught. The obvious choices like sex organs, pets and food won't win you any awards, unless it's a Piranha (winning 2008 lick). Each year the best lick is chosen to receive the Morris Joffee award, something not to be taken lightly, and decided by the founding members. 

Licks have included things like Checkpont Charlie, the Lisa Marie aeroplane, a cadaver at a Body Worlds exhibition, and the Big Five. This group is not unique; in 2011 Lawrence Edmonds was challenged by a friend to lick every Anglican Church in the UK. This included 42 in England and another 20 in he rest of the UK. Lawrence kept a blog documenting each lick, and succeeded in his challenge. 

I've participated in my fair share of licks. None have been award winners but some have made special mention. Frankly I believe that locking a public telephone in downtown Johannesburg deserved more but who am I to complain? 

Tonight we ate out at a restaurant where Keith ordered fried fish. He expected a pretty battered piece of fish and maybe some tartare sauce and fries. When a full fish, head and tail and little fins arrived at this seat he took one look at it and pointed to me, indicating to the waiter that this was in fact my dish. Naturally I decided it needed licking. The waiter watched, eyes wide, likely wondering if this stupid Westerner was just having a taste? Below are tonight's and some of my earlier pics. Scroll down to the end, the last one is the best one. 










42.42

No comments: