Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Three

I missed the past few days on purpose. They say that things happen in threes, usually bad ones if you belong to a superstitious Jewish family like mine. According to Pagan or Wiccan belief anything you do comes back to you threefold. I've been traveling the past few days, mostly for work, but a little for pleasure. Three kinds.  

For someone that claims to not like children I sure am finding myself surrounded by them. And I've come to realize that I am actually quite comfortable around them. I met Ivy in Los Angeles. She's a bundle of joy with the most gorgeous full head of hair. And she smiles. We hung out and chatted over a burrito in Rondondo. 

In Vancouver I met Ian. He's a gorgeous Irish redhead who sat in my lap, held my fingers tight and stared at me. He let out the biggest, deepest sigh. The kind that Tyson makes when he is just so relaxed. He camped out in my arms while his mom and I caught up on life. Olivia, the greyhound, observed quietly from her spot in front of the fireplace. 

Tyson (my Boxer) has a rather large family. Frankly I'm jealous given my sad history and so I live vicariously through him as a member of his family Facebook group. Sometimes I can't keep up with the posts, comments, and invitations to family gatherings. By chance I fell in love with a little girl named Kaija who is the image of Tyson. Her pictures could be of him. She does the same things he does. And so it was inevitable that his mom and I became Facebook friends. When I learned that her human husband's name is Tyson and her favourite food is wine I knew it was meant to be. Turns out Kaija is Tysons niece. I arrived at Kaija's house and knocked on the door. It opened and I was greeted by a whole lot of crazy. I was in love. We hugged, we played, I bit her cheeks, she nipped at me and brought me her ball. We drank champagne and wine, ate oysters, risotto and home made sauerkraut. We had never met before but we hung out in the kitchen talking non-stop like old friends. 

Tonight I went to Merle's place for Shabbos.  I always see them when I am in Vancouver. We've been friends for so long that I don't remember how we met. She has twins and I believe it is my job to spoil them. Our text messages back and forth about the difference between what they want and what they need could start a comedy gig. Finally we agreed that I would take the kids to a toy store and they could pick out something they wanted. They did. We broke the rules (nothing needing batteries, nothing over $5) and we went home to build and play with our toys. We had Shabbat dinner, with a friend I have not seen since Merle's wedding in 2003. We laughed that we couldn't even remember the year. We hung out and played and caught up and though we don't see eachother often, it's like we are always together. 

Dogs make the best friends. And dogs make the best friends. Get it?

I played with some babies, I met old and new friends, and I loved up a beautiful Boxer. 

Keith tells me that sometimes my posts are crap. This one may just be one of those but that's OK. These three things have made the last three days so much fun and totally rewarding. 

Sometimes life is just that simple. Simple enough to write about it. 

42.59 - 61

No comments: