Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Total exhaustion

Russia is amazing. The people fascinate me, in the same room you have the most beautifully dressed woman right next to someone that looks like she lives in the 20s. The same holds true for the cars, new, old and "oh my god, that thing still goes?" all on the same street.

The Russians have a fantastic tradition. At dinner you toast, constantly. Each time you do this over a shot of vodka and you have to drink the entire glass. So a meal lasts for hours, and comprises countless toasts to whatever or whomever you like. There are two rules, the third toast is always to the women, and one other, I think the seventh, to people that are not with you; be it friends, colleagues or family.

I'm used to presenting, I do it all the time. What I'm not used to, is presenting to a group of people that don't speak English and require the services of a translator. Part of me felt like I was addressing the security council of the UN. But then I'd need an interesting name like Hanky Cheescake. So I've spent most of the day with earphones on or off my head and a mic clasped in my hand in an attempt to speak very very very s l o w l y, listening at the same time to the interpreters to make sure they are keeping up with me, or me with them.

And now it's time to go to dinner, to drink and toast.

Wish you were here.

No comments: