Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Time to seriously blog

I left South Africa last night. For over 8 years I have talked about leaving South Africa and going to live in Canada. Once I got close, but mostly it's just been talk and my friends know that. Until now. I surprised even myself.
I left South Africa last night. The last few weeks have been a roller coaster ride of emotions. I never expected how much goes into closing up a 34,75 year old life, and attempting to start another one. The internet is an amazing resource, how did people do it before? How did they know to apply for confirmation of driver's license without the 100-point list on sacanada.org? Saying goodbye was harder than I ever thought.
I left South Africa last night. Before I left I decided to extend the tattoo on my arm. Trust Lawrence to do it at the last minute. It's not like I didn't have four lists, categorised, and incomplete. I had to get another tattoo. When I arrived at the artist on Tuesday morning to fill in the areas that had been outlined there was no power! So I went to another artist and asked him to do the job and he agreed. Halfway through the power went out. Luckily I had half a day left and we finished the tattoo. How appropriate that it was load-shedding that first had me make my mind up, and load-shedding that left a last impression on me.
I left South Africa last night. I lay awake on the plane wondering if this really is the right thing to do. It is better to leave, for all the reasons that I am leaving, or to stay? Is it worth being so far away from the people that you love, really love?
I'll let you know in a little while.
I live in Canada now.

No comments: