Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Settling in....

Life in Toronto is starting to take on a routine. Before I left South Africa I was worried that once the excitement of the move was over, that the sadness of leaving would hit me. I pictured going through the move, and then waking up one Saturday morning thinking "what now?". It hasn't happened yet.

Some of the routine is the same as before. I wake up in the morning and take the dogs out for a walk. Then I go to gym. The difference now is that I walk a block to the subway and jump off three stops later at the gym as opposed to driving and sometimes getting stuck in the horrible Parkhurst traffic. I used to live in Parkhurst in Johannesburg. For those that know the area, you wouldn't think that Parkhurst had traffic but it does, and it's not easy getting out of Parkhurst in the mornings. When I get home I have breakfast and start work, instead of going to the office. I miss the office and the people around me, I miss the structure but I'm slowly creating my own structure at home. Once I move (yes.....we bought a house), then I'll make a proper office space for myself. Keith and I often go out during the day, we're still exploring and learning about the city and it's fantastic. So I haven't woken up thinking "what now?" yet, but it may happen.

I've heard that it's been raining a lot in Johannesburg. It's been raining here too but it's not the same. It's wet, and there are leaves everywhere which are slippery and dirty and muddy. We don't have that clean, fresh smell that comes after a good highveld storm. We certainly don't have the amazing electric lightening and thunder.

We bought a house. We found a great place in Cabbagetown and decided to put in an offer. And so the process started for the third time. We reached the inevitable stalemate where we refused to go higher and the seller refused to go lower. We walked away from the table. A day later we got a call saying that the seller had accepted our offer. I guess he realised that the market is not what is was 6 months ago, and that your first offer is usually your best. We move in next Friday and are so excited. I'm excited to see my bed, which I haven't seen since August. I've slept on the floor, on an air mattress, on hotel and other people's beds and I'm tired. I want my bed. And Im gonna get it. I think that having all our things around us will be a major step. I think it will finally concrete that we are here. Maybe then I'll have the "what now?".

OK, it's time to shower and move on. I just wanted to say hi and keep in touch. I'll post pics once the house is unpacked. I was silly, I packed my camera charger in the container and haven't been able to take any pics!

No comments: