Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ranting.....(and stark raving mad)

"Let's turn a negative into a positive".

Jesus Christ but it irritated me every time my mother said that to me. It irritated me because it’s a crap statement; if something is negative, it’s negative. Deal with it, learn from it and move the hell on. It irritated me because she is the last person on this planet that turns anything negative into positive, because then she would have to be happy.

Having said that, there are things that just piss me off (can you read the tone?). I’ve decided to put them down in writing and what the hell, let’s see if I can turn a negative into a positive. For the record, names have been removed to protect the happy.

It makes me angry that you don’t make time for our friendship.
I am happy our friendship has weathered worse.
That’s one….

It drives me crazy how you falsely believe that the world is watching you.
I am happy that it makes you strive for things (even though they are all materialistic).
Hmmm…. Not a very good one

It frustrates me that you are stuck in your comfort zone and even though you say you will, I know you won’t.
I am happy that your comfort zone is one that most people wish they had.
Not bad…

When are you going take responsibility for your fucking life?
Never – someone will always be there to rescue you.
OK….this clearly isn’t working

Maybe the problem is that I am judgmental and full of expectation. I try not to be, but who am I kidding, we all are. I give, I expect back. I watch, I think, I judge.

My company had a Manager’s Meeting a week ago and we locked ourselves in a room for two days and communicated. We were forced to speak in structured sentences that go like this:

“When you …….. what I made about that ……. and that made me feel ……” Jesus, it was pretty difficult. But we had no choice, and soon enough we got it and the words were flowing. What a difference it actually makes.

OK I’m done, I haven’t said much except to make it clear that some people piss me off, as I’m sure I do to them. My friendships are strong enough for me to tell them, and to get over it. Sometimes I get over it before I've told them. Negatives don’t have to be turned into positives, they can be positive on their own.

And one last thing, I love Reisies Pieces.
Nope…not explaining that one. I just do.

No comments: