Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Two Boxers and a Golden Retriever

These are our children. I do not currently have human ones of my own making and maybe someday I will but in my mind and my heart, I am just as fortunate for these three and they are no different to your human ones. To say I am obsessed with animals, dogs in particular, is somewhat of an understatement. I often say I prefer them to people.








Dexter is our oldest Boxer, he is a Saggitarian like me and turns 7 at the end of this year. He is big, and noisy, and boisterous but he is a gentle giant. If he could he would sleep on your lap. He insists on having some part of his body touching yours at all times and must sleep under a duvet in winter. I shudder to think at how he will react to the snow in Toronto but I laugh at people when they ask me if we are taking the dogs with. Of course we are, are you taking your kids?









Jessie (Jessica Anne, when naughty), is our chatty kathy. She mumbles, and groans, and whines constantly for no reason. She is a typical Libra, can't make up her bloody mind! Jessie was diagnosed with a form of canine cancer last year and went through 7 weeks of surgery and radiation treatment. She is absolutely fine now and has a hairless patch of skin on her chest as a gentle reminder. I honestly believe that she took on some form of energy, be it our stress or as protection from something happening and I thank her every day for that. Jessie is 5.








Troy is our baby. He is the gentlest dog that you will ever meet. I've grown up with Boxers so am used to their energy and expect all dogs to be the same. Sometimes I look at him and I wonder if he is truly canine or if there is a human trapped inside there. He amazes and amuses me. Troy is a Virgo. He is 3.






We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment.
~George Eliot

No comments: