Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Poetry

I was looking through some old files for a document that I need and came across an old worn book with the words "PRIVATE" scratched into the cover. When I was a teenager I was a huge Jim Morrison fan, I read all his books and poetry, listened to his music, had posters of him all over the place and wore tight tee-shirts and jeans just like him. At some point I decided that I would be a poet just like him too. And inside the tattered old book is my poetry. It's all totally entertaining, the teenager trying to come up with something original out of the depths of despair of being a teenager (yes, most of my poetry was quite morbid and full of self-pity!). And not very good. But hey, here's some of it....

Dad
Memories of days long past
Begin to fade.
The mental picture crumbled
long before.

Yearning for a father stronger grow
Beneath the
Anger
And frustration.

Outward strong I seem to be,
Yet inside flow tears of sorrow
For someone I can't
Remember.


In God We Trust?
Events:
Experienced to learn from.
(The details become clearer much later)
But during is when beliefs falter
And then need be reassured.

In times of need for guiding hands,
One looks for something meaningful
In a God that we all trust.
(or do we?)

Varsity Wall
The echoes fill the building,
They bounce off concrete walls,
And amid the smells of morning feast,
The incessant noise of hurrying feet,
Education calls.

I sit alone yet part of them,
A group of people who,
(Some would rather be elsewhere)
Share a common goal.

And yet someday,
When degrees are held,
And roads diverged,
Most cherished friendships (from these echos)
Shall linger still.


And this one is my favorite because I know exactly who I wrote it for. I hope she reads my blog 'cos she'd be tickled pink (and by the way, she is still married to "someone else" today).

Why is it?
Why is it that I always seem to lose,
To someone else?
Why is it that she doesn't notice me,
But someone else?
Why is it that I love her so and she loves,
Someone else?
Why is it, can you answer me,
Why is it?
I know you love her....
But her not me,
Just let me finish please.
I know you love her endlessly,
But she loves someone else.
Someone else.
Oh, how I hate him so,
You mustn't fight,
You cannot win,
Just let her love him.
I can't, I love...
But she not you,
She loves someone else.

1 comment:

Dinx said...

Good poems - moving.

This is a PS - I've moved my blog to wordpress. 24 was becoming a personal pit of jealousy and resentment :).