Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Changing accents

I don't quite understand why some South Africans that move away suddenly develop accepts. I can understand it if you've been here forever and since a kid but come on, the fake "yeah" and saying "last week" instead of "laaast week" just sounds so ridiculous when it doesn't come naturally.

Sometimes the Canadians don't understand what I'm saying, nobody understands it when I say "Reiter", they pronounce it "Rider" instead but all I do is repeat myself. When Keith asks for "ice" for his wine, he means "ice", not "ass". Doesn't mean we have to suddenly develop accents. I'm proud of my accent, in fact many people love hearing it.

Have you ever heard an American or Canadian suddenly start saying "Howzit boet, ja it's good to be in Johburgh"? I didn't think so.

We have a friend that had a friend that went to America for 3 weeks. He came back with a full on accent yet everyone knew that he hadn't lived there for that long. They called him "Miss California".

I'm still going to say "Ja, my name is Lawrence Reiter and I'd like some ice please" and I don't plan on changing that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im going to have to learn to say ice....cant have them keep looking at me funny