Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Being Torontonian

I’m back in Toronto. I arrived on Friday night after a long, but uneventful trip home. I stopped to get something to eat, went to my apartment and crashed. We’ve rented a furnished apartment for a few months until we find something to buy. We’re in an area called The Annex. It’s in the heart of the University of Toronto complex, which forms part of the downtown area and spans hundreds of miles (ok maybe not hundreds, but it’s huge). Our building is small, only 5 apartments, on a leafy street and surrounded by parks and frat houses called “Si Phi Epsilom” and “Delta Omega Something or Other”. We have the entire top floor. There are two subway stations within walking distance, a 24-hour grocery store, dry cleaner and most importantly (according to Lisa), a Starbucks. It is these things that one should consider when determining where to live in Toronto, especially Starbucks (Venti, Extra-shot, Wet, Splenda-In, Cappucino please). We’re also 5 minutes away from the Shi-Shi Yorkville area and Whole Foods, Canada’s equivalent of Woolworths (on steroids). The interesting thing about Toronto is the variety. You can find anything you want, usually within walking distance and fifty options of it. You can have two streets right next to each other (ok I know, you can have that anywhere in the world). However, on one street stands $3mil dollar homes and on the other, low cost housing. The same applies to two sides of the street. It’s eclectic, vibrant and in many areas, gentrifying (a new word I learnt recently that is used to describe any up and coming area). There is a chill in the air as winter approaches and I’m realizing that soon the streets will be covered in snow and ice so the short walk to the subway station, or cabs on Bloor West, the main street a block away, will be welcomed.
I spent most of the weekend exploring. I spent Saturday in the heart of downtown. I could have been at Piccadilly Circus in London or Times Square in New York City. The place was buzzing with people, huge buildings covered with electronic signs that impose themselves upon you, and people walk, shuffle, sing, shout and hand out flyers. I took the subway and held tightly only my backpack, checking constantly that my wallet was still there.
I walked home last night, it was probably a 10km walk and I weaved in and out between the main roads and the smaller side streets. I stopped to get an ice cream a few blocks away from home. I was conscious of the fact that I kept on looking over my shoulder. There is a park near my apartment and as I approached I noticed a young woman, with headphones in her ears strolling through the park. So I though “if she can, so can I” and I made my way through the badly lit park towards home. The streets were quiet and clean. I could see into the houses because there are no fences, walls or gates. And I walked right up to my front door, just like they do on TV.
I spent Sunday on Queen West, a trendy street lined with shops and cafes. I was waiting for the traffic light to change when a lady pulled up next to me on a bicycle. She had her earphones in her ears (standard for Toronto), a helmet and her handbag and shopping were hanging off the back of a hook behind her seat. Anybody could walk up to her, lift the bags off and walk away. She wouldn’t hear a thing. And the great thing is…it probably wouldn’t happen here.
I’m sure it will take a while before I can walk around without looking over my shoulder. I’m sure it will take a while before I stop checking for my wallet, keys and phone every 10 – 15 minutes.
I don’t mind waiting.

No comments: