Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

No. More. Zoos

Humans really can be despicable. Much of our actions can be attributed to naiveté but there comes a point where we have no excuses anymore. I often give a talk where I speak of human experimentation done in the past that brought us to where we are today in terms of medical research. I caution those listening to me speak that we must put ourselves in the time and place of those conducting experiments that they thought were humane. I do not speak of crimes against humanity conducted under the guise of science. I speak of infecting a young girl with cowpox that resulted in the eradication of an epidemic and invention of the vaccine. I speak of countless surgeries performed on women without anaesthesia that allows many of us to benefit from specific treatments, using special tools, today. 

They didn't know better but we judge them based on what we know today. They probably did the same when they looked back in time, and there is little doubt that the same will be done of us. 

But. We. Know. Better. Now.

We do not need to stare at animals in the Zoo for our enjoyment. We do not need to hunt them for pleasure. We do not need Circuses. We are destroying our planet. We have eradicated species. And we just don't stop. 

I grew up in Africa. I grew up watching animals in their natural habitat. I grew up watching African animals in their natural habitat. I did not need to see Polar Bears in Africa. I have never seen one. I am absolutely OK with that. 

A magnificent animal died today because someone wasn't watching their child. It is not for me to decide whether that child's life was worth more than the animals. He* should not have been in that Zoo in the first place.  

We can learn from incredible National Geographic programmes today. We can travel to sanctuaries and watch them in their natural habitat. I do not discount the scores of people that rehabilitate and care for, and learn from the millions of creatures in captivity. I know that we can't just release those animals that won't survive in the wild. If you really need to see an animal in the flesh then become a game ranger or volunteer to wash oil off a penguin. 

Let's love these creatures more than we do the Selfie. Or the Celebrity. 



* Harambe
* The kid

42.80

No comments: